Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hello Quarter Life Crisis

Lately all of my friends are experiencing the 'quarter life crisis' that I didn't really understand until last week. Getting rejected from grad school may have had a little something to do with my new found understanding. You see, last year my fiance went through one of these. Even then I hadn't even heard about the quarter life crisis. I simply thought he had gone temporarily insane when he decided that he hated living in our apartment, taking care of our two dogs and cat and went to live on his friends scummy couch for a week. At the time he described feeling confused and suspicious about how his life seemed a little too complete. For a guy who had it all (domestically speaking) at such a young age, he was starting to freak out. After some much needed soul searching, he finally got his shit together and figured out that it was okay to feel confused but that at the end of the day, he was happy. Compared to some of my other friends, he handled himself pretty well. Everyone else's crises came in the form of extreme substance abuse, promiscuity and I would argue, mild forms of prostitution. For some, it's gone beyond experimentation and developed into a full fledged life style. It's almost as though figuring out what we're supposed to be doing with our lives is so difficult that they just choose to take a big stinky shit on life. I on the other hand have never felt this need to shit on my own life. I worked hard, played by the rules and did everything I thought I should be doing. After completing my BA with honours while simultaneously working full time, I thought I would go to grad school and one day become a professor. After the chair of the fucking philosophy department wrote me a stellar recommendation and after submitting what I thought was a killer application, I was wait listed and then rejected.
Pro: I now have time to focus on my upcoming wedding (10/10/10!) and plan a long and well deserved honeymoon.
Con: I am freaked the fuck out about my future. What the hell am I supposed to do now?!

No comments:

Post a Comment